Wednesday, July 29, 2009

4 Rules For Choosing a Great Domain Name

You have decided to buy a domain name, now what? First, go look up 'domain names' on Google (or a search site of your choice). There are several places to register one. Some offer better deals than others, so check them all out. Next, just follow these 4 basic rules:

1) Keep It Simple - Find a domain name that is

a) easy to say
b) easy to spell and
c) easy to remember.

2) Register Plural and Hyphenated Versions - Also register all the DOTS to help capture anyone who might misspell the domain name, and also helps protect you from competition of domain names similar to yours.

3) Use The Top Keywords In The Domain Name Itself - Search engines give high relevance to sites with the top keywords in the domain. Also consider registering a 'generic' one. If you happen to change businesses, then the domain name specific to that first business is no longer useful.

You should ALWAYS register a 'generic' domain name for use in your email address. You can keep it forever, no matter what business you are in. Using variations of your own name is good in the 'generic' domain name choice.

4) Pay Attention To Phonics - Try not to use numbers unless you can register both the numeric and alphabetical versions. Sometimes, you might give your domain name verbally without having time to explain, for example, if someone hears '4' and writes down 'four'. They will not find you.

You might also consider a web hosting account. Be unique and show your own style!

If you are serious about your business and want to be taken seriously, then give great consideration to the domain name(s) you choose and how you present yourself. It can literally be the difference between success and failure!

Hi! I've been a happily divorced, single mom of two wonderful boys since 1994. I had to end my 25 year cherished career in the Radiology Profession after I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. I specialized in Mammography and CT scans. I have 3 Pugs, whom I adore! My sons and I enjoy taking them outdoors fishing with us. They love it. We all enjoy music, movies and books. My oldest Pug is a serious music lover!

I am unable to sit and do nothing, so I researched everything I could given my Physical condition. I found the Internet world and never looked back! Now I work at home in my underwear!http://www.lousdomain.ws

No comments:

Post a Comment